Thursday, June 5, 2008

So Far, So Good

It's been five days without Paul here and we seem to be doing pretty well. He's been out of town for a week before, but not since we've had four little ones. I've been focused on having a positive outlook and stayed busy and that has helped tremendously. I like this excerpt from a book that I'm reading and wanted to share it:
The subconscious mind does not recognize good or bad any more than the soil recognizes the difference in the seed planted. Whatever seed you plant in the soil is the one that grows. In the same way, whatever thoughts you put into your subconscious determine what you become. You sow words and thoughts. You will reap what you sow.

I have made a conscious effort to steer my mind away from thoughts that this week would be so hard and it has really paid off. I have also adopted a zero tolerance policy and have been disciplining on the first offense. Why am I not always doing these things??!!

Our only issue is that the kids don't sleep well when Paul is not home. Only one more night though. I did get a nice break today, too. Our babysitter, who used to watch the kids when I worked one day a week for Paul, wanted to watch the kids today because she is leaving this weekend for the whole summer. I took the baby and we went to the outlet mall. I didn't realize all the stores that were there before! I'm always so in-and-out when I have all the kids with me. I got a $70 pair of shoes for $17 and a $110 sheet set for $40. I really needed the sheets and I'm hoping that they will last a long time since they are 400 thread count combed cotton. Very nice.

So, Paul will come home tomorrow night, be here for a week and then gone again for a week. (Don't tell him, but I think I can keep the house cleaner when he's not around. I don't know why. Maybe it's all the positive thoughts.)

3 comments:

Ashley Dumas said...

I loved your comment on positive thinking. I am so aware that if I start with negative thoughts they can totally ruin my day, steal my joy, make me feel ungrateful (for which I have EVERY reason to feel grateful) It is a really easy way to find myself depressed! Congratulations on keeping the positive spirit during the difficult and lonely days without your husband around. I think it can actutally be enjoyable sometimes because it is just a different routine but it is always so nice to be all together! Well hang in there! I'll be thinking about you guys this next week.

Ash

Jane said...

love the excerpt... what book are you reading? I could use some training in this area.

Sorry I have not commented lately...it's been crazy busy here...I have stopped and read what's going on, just having had much time to "chat" much on blogs.

Baby Ruby is getting SOOOOO big... and she is such a beautiful baby. I love seeing the entire family love on her.

Stay cool!
Jane

DeeAnn said...

Hey, Jane-Jane! Nice to hear from you again.

The book is The Complete Book of Home Management by Elva Anson