Friday, June 13, 2008

Field Trip!

Yesterday the Pine View Academy took an impromptu field trip to the local cannery. We needed to go pick up some of the meat that we had slaughtered and store in their freezer locker, but coincidentally, the unit that Emily is currently studying in Social Studies is called 'Visiting a Cannery and a Granite Quarry'. Luckily we also live 45 minutes away from the granite capitol of the world, so we'll be going there next week.

They showed us all kinds of huge cookers and equipment where anyone can bring their fruits, veggies or meat and cook it there and can it themselves. I would love to go to a local orchard and get the bruised fruit to make my own applesauce and canned peaches, but I just don't think it will be possible to cook and can at their facility with a four-month-old baby. The tour was going well until they opened the door to the hanging room. Right in front was a huge, headless pig hanging by it's hind legs. Nolan started shaking and couldn't breathe so I quickly ducked out with him and Lily.

I think my clock must finally be winding down. I just realized that I went to go see my friend Jennifer's new baby the other day (congrats Jennifer!) and I didn't hold the baby. Usually I make my friends meals just so that I CAN hold their baby. Very strange.

3 comments:

Christy Fritz said...

Is it the one in Eastonallee?
Nita Watkins and I made applesauce one year. I need to look for one around here. It was the best applesauce, and I think I did pie filling too.
Have fun at the quarry!! :)

DeeAnn said...

Yes, it's that one. I don't know why it's so much more motivating to go do it there than just do it on a smaller scale at home.

Mothertomanyblessings said...

Well you do still have a beautiful little one so that may be it too!! :)