Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Science Project

Today Emily made a model of an animal cell.

Putting the cytoplasm (jello) into the cell membrane (ziploc bag).

Putting in the nucleus (grape)

and the mitochondria (raisins).

The Animal Cell Model. It is missing vacuoles. I thought that air soft pellets or beebees would be perfect, but we couldn't find any laying around today. I'm always griping about them being in the floor all over the house. Now when I needed them, I couldn't find any. Oh well. We'll find something tiny and round around here somewhere. We will probably use beads and pretend that they don't have the hole in them.

Nolan squishing the cell almost to the point of bursting. We're hiding it in the fridge to show Daddy when he gets home.

Today was our 180th day of school so we are ready to take a break. I'm planning on doing a 6-week-on and 2-week-off schedule once we start up again in August. We both need a break to look forward to after a few weeks.

4 comments:

Ashley Dumas said...

I did this project with 20 portuguese speaking kids last year and it was hilarious. They kept eating the grapes and the Jello and it was really hot and the Jello melted. I think they just thought I was an insane American telling them to stop eating the Jello and grapes and wait until it melted and leaked out of the bags. Oh well : ) It was funny. Congratulations of 180 days of school. Enjoy your break!!!
Ash

Jane said...

I need help...

DISRUPTED adoption of a 12 year old boy from Guatemala....he needs his forever family.

please either post or link to my post for this child of God.

thanks for your prayers and help.

a home for every child.

Jane said...

If I come help you with the youngins, would you home school me too?!? The hands on of home schooling is how I learn, however, since I'm 41, and grew up in NE Ohio, that was not an option way back then.

Tonya said...

That looks like fun. We'll have to try it.