Monday, February 25, 2008

Getting back to real life


I have been taking it pretty easy for the last few weeks. My mom was here to cook, clean and raise the big kids for two weeks while I got to kick back and just take care of myself and my new baby. Last week I was blessed with a weeks worth of meals from my wonderful friends. I have realized, after not cooking for three weeks, that I enjoy cooking for my family, but I DESPISE trying to figure out what to cook each night. I also know from past experience that Paul doesn't like to be asked what he wants. He has to make so my decisions all day that he doesn't want to decide on food. I think we would both rather not eat than decide, but somebody has to. I told Emily today that it is now her job to plan out the meals for each week. I will have veto power over the menu. Then I can make out the shopping list and go from there. She is really excited about her new responsibility.

Today started real life. At least I got to ease back into it. I just have to stay organized and it's not too bad. The chaos starts when I sit down to feed the baby, but if I make sure everyone's juice cups are filled and I stay in the living room where I'm not closed off from them, it's pretty ok. The little ones are also getting used to the idea that they need to be patient and wait until I'm done nursing or changing the baby. Usually by the time I'm done, they have forgotten whatever it was that they so desperately needed at the moment. Emily is such a great help that it's hard for me not to take advantage and have her doing everything. It is very nice to have a kid big enough to hold the baby for a long time while I get things done, too. She could sit and hold the baby all day if I let her.

I just found my organic gardening book so I'm going to take a moment to start planning our garden for this year. Pray for Rain! My garden was a disaster last year because we were on strict water restrictions. This year I'll get up and water it in the middle of the night if I have to.

3 comments:

Mothertomanyblessings said...

I am wondering how things are gonna be for me when baby gets here. Our youngest will not be 2 yet but I do have bigger kids to help so that is great! YOur baby is so beautiful, I know I say it every time but it is just the truth lol

Tonya said...

That baby is so darling. I am trying my darndest to talk Landon into another one. It's not working. :(

keithandjennifer said...

I think one of the GREAT things about having a large family is the others HAVE to learn to wait. They learn early that they are not the center of the universe and that others have needs too. This is a GOOD thing for children to learn at any age.

Tonya-- I know you have a lot of tricks up your sleeve so Landon better watch out. You might catch him in a weak moment... most of the time thats all you need is just a moment..... :)